Tuesday, March 28, 2023

The Godfather Parts 1 and 2

 Not sure how much of a post this is going to be. 


Over the last two nights I watched The Godfather Parts 1 and 2. Because they’re apparently a bit of America's contribution to world culture.


I watched 1 before maybe 15 years ago. I remember thinking, “That was better than I thought it’d be.” But the bare breasted scene was really a speed bump for me back then even though I’ve never thought nudity in films was as damning as some claim.  Maybe I was just caught by surprise. I don’t know. This time I wasn’t surprised so it wasn’t an obstruction.


First of all, I feel like the beginning is impeccable. We don’t know what’s happening except a man is pleading for help. We don’t see Brando’s face or hear his voice for several minutes. Until this man wraps up his case. Then we learn that this man has interrupted Vito’s daughter’s wedding. Within seconds the film’s world expands with that knowledge. The wedding is covered extensively but it didn’t feel forced. To me it felt like a tribute to Italian wedding and family culture. It made me wish my family was like that even though it would give me so much anxiety there’s no way I would attend such a big event.


I also think it’s fascinating how immediate Corleone’s attitude toward the undertaker changes the moment the man pledges his love and loyalty to Corleone and addresses him as Godfather and kisses his hand. I’m fascinated by compassionate, sensitive and selfless “bad guys.” They’re some of my favorite characters in books and films.


It’s hard for me to come up with anything constructive to say about the film. One—everything has been said about it over and over forever. And, two—I don’t remember everything I watched. I love how nonchalant the severed horse head shows up in the movie producer’s bed. No warning whatsoever. Not showing the lead up or who actually commits the act. It always makes me wonder how they get it in the bed without him waking up.  I’m guessing he was drugged somehow.  I think that’s part of how arresting the scene is. The  producer screaming over and over is like watching a car crash or a train derailing or a rocket blowing up on the launchpad over and over. Just pure terror. One of the most graphic representations of fear in all film. At least that’s what I think. 


I like how Michael decimates the family heads and then goes into exile and has a whole complete life in Italy. I love how his future father-in-law is so offended by him but when Michael’s follow-up conversation is so polite and understanding the father-in-law is so impressed he doesn’t hesitate to invite Michael to Sunday dinner to formally meet his daughter and how much her family immediately loves him. If only Americans had such formal and sincere rituals. And if only American young women would walk down the streets singing beautiful songs. That’d be great. 


And, of course, Sonny’s murder is brutal and extensive but that’s no hot take. I wonder at what point the toll booth worker was alerted to the impending violence. I’m assuming he was because he sure hid quickly with no hesitation. I think it would have been very respectable if someone had given him a head’s up. “Good morning, sir. We want to let you know there’s going to be a massacre when Sonny Corleone drives up. Please take care to do whatever you need to endure it without harm. And if you need a favor in return from Don Corleone, don’t hesitate to stop by the house and announce yourself at the gate. You will be ushered in without hesitation.” That would’ve been awesome. And I wonder what he told his wife at the end of the day. And I wonder if he was given the next day off or was given hazard pay.


I guess that’s about it for The Godfather Part 1. On to Part 2.


This is my complete and total review of Part 2 and all anyone needs to know about Part 2. Michael brooding in a poorly lit room. 




The end.


No comments: