Thursday, April 22, 2021

James Stutter

Caveat: I have in NO way come close to listening to all of James's albums. The overwhelming experience I have with them is in the albums James, Seven and Laid.  So when I stalk about things like the progression of James as a band I really don't know what I'm talking about.  I'm only pretending to know what I'm talking about.  So...there.

Stutter is one freaking crazy album.  I told you the other day that I wish I still felt this way.  I've tried to put my finger on what I mean by "this" but I can't really put into a cogent thought; just something like this: hopped up on youth and indecision and confidence and potential and romance and arrogance and talent.  I used to have all those things and when I did I was awesome.  But I don't still feel that way.  I'm an old cynic now.  I don't sense one moment of cynicism on this album.  Just crazy key changes and changes in tempo and hollering and ululations.  I see Booth jumping up and down and spinning and shaking his head back and forth while singing in the studio.  And is bandmates smiling and laughing at him and also expressing themselves in the same spirit in their own way.

I like superhero origin story movies.  I think bands have similar experiences.  One day they're like the rest of us and then their first album comes out and--for good or evil--they're never the same.  In movies the heroes usually become more adept at using their skills over time.  But I have to say Stutter doesn't feel like an origin story.  They definitely show steps of passing through the rights and passages of life but trace them back to Stutter and it feels like an organic process.

Especially Tim Booth's voice.  Man that doesn't show the least bit of immaturity.  It's as strong and steady and flawless as it is in future albums.  It's a finely sharpened glass edge from the get go.  Evidenced in the extended holding of the solitary note at 2:25 in "Why So Close." Thoroughly unflinching.  So impressive.  That's not the work of a superhero trying to find find their footing.  

Speaking of "Why So Close." Far and away the song on the album that resonates with me more than others.  First of all, I just love it.  Lyrics and interesting and I love the acoustic guitar.  And I love stories about the history of the American West.  Whether or not that was the intended thought behind the song, that's what I take from it.  And, like I said the other day, this song remind me of REM's "Swan Swan H." The acoustic guitar, the feeling of war and death and destruction and the poetic lyrics that describe them. 

I always wonder how foreigners view the history and settling of the American West.  I'm reading a book on the history of the Eiffel Tower.  I didn't know it was built in conjunction with the 1889 Paris World Fair.  As part of America's submissions to the fair Buffalo Bill came over with his Wild West Show.  His show was one of the first ways that people--even in America--had any experience with the settling of the west.  Anyway, so I think it's interesting to hear James use western imagery.

I also have some oddly personal connections to "Why So Close."  First of all I've lived in the west my whole life and I love it.  I love the history and the myth and the land and all that comes with it.  I know this is the land of someones forefathers and many of those forefathers are mine.  My ancestors came from Denmark and settled in Sanpete County.  There's something shadowy about saying "I feel the blood of my ancestors on the ground I live on" but I really do.  

Second, my dad's father was named Ivan which is so strange since he was born and raised in rural Utah.  I actually have no idea what the story is behind his name but he definitely didn't get it because he was from Russia.  So when I read about Ivan in the second verse I visualize my grandfather building a wall of lead around his house in Manti, Utah--furious and desperate.

Third, my dad's best friend growing up is named Wayne. To us, growing up, he was Uncle Wayne. We didn't see him a lot, but I think of him whenever I see/hear the name Wayne.  So he is part of this verse as my grandfather is part of the previous one.  So I envision my dad and his best friend Wayne watching my grandpa through dark glasses. Whatever that may mean.  

One additional thought about this song: I thought Booth was singing "Warhead phones since he was born" and I thought it was an awesome phrase--reminded me of "Miss Atomic Bomb"--until I looked it up and saw it was "Wore headphones..." and then I felt like an idiot.

So those are some thoughts on Stutter.  Clearly "Why So Close" is the stand out for me.  What a song.  

No comments: